Network Engineer Resume (Day Job)
JOSEPH L WILSON
PILOTJOE @ GMAIL (dot) COM
This is not being maintained
Senior Network Engineer with 20+ years of experience in design, installation, configuration, and troubleshooting of LAN/WAN infrastructure, web load balancing systems and security systems.
Routers: Nexus 7K/5K, Cisco 6509, Cisco ASR/ISR, 7200VXR, Juniper QFX
Switches: Cisco Catalyst 6500 series, Catalyst 4500 series, 3750, 3560. Older Cisco models include 5505, 4006, 3560, 3550, 2750, 2980, 2950, 1900, Foundry FastIron, Extreme Summit 48, HP ProCurve
Security: Palo Alto, Cisco Firepower NGFW, ASA 5585X, IPSec VPN, DMVPN, F5 APM
Load Balancers: F5 LTM/GTM, Citrix Netscaler VPX/SPX, Cisco CSS/ACE
Protocols: BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, NHRP, VTP, STP
Scripting: Python, Ansible
Network Management: Splunk, Nagios, Cacti, Grafana, Infoblox, Wireshark, Scrutinizer, Openview
Certifications: Cisco CCNP Routing & Switching, CCNA, Microsoft MCSE v4.0 (Old), Novell CNA (Old)
The University of Texas at Austin
Sr. Network Engineer (May 2019 – Present)
I am the project lead for all MPLS/VRF technology implementations. My duties include meeting University Colleges to determine their networking and security needs. I design and implement one or more VRF’s, firewalls and centralize security policies based on their network needs. Working to automate tasks using Ansible and Python to ease the work load and reduce network impacts due to manual support of the network. Work on operational trouble tickets for issues happening on the campus network. Tasked to work in the on-call rotation for 24×7 supports of the network. Document network changes and new network projects. Train junior engineers.
Network Engineer (December 2018 – May 2019)
Tasked with operational and engineering support of both Corporate and Production networks. Architect and implement fully encrypted, multi-tiered, geo load balanced, cloud networking topologies within AWS. Setup and maintain multiple AWS transit VPCs as well as child VPC’s in both public and gov cloud environments. Use various scripting tools such as Terraform, Ansible, and Python to deploy and configure cloud network devices (AMI) within AWS. Experienced working with Meraki and Palo Alto firewalls as well as Juniper switches to ensure a highly secure, scalable and stable network.
Sr. Network Engineer (July 2017 to November 2018)
Part of the Infrastructure and Operations Team performing both engineering and operations duties for the entire company network. Responsible for maintaining all firewalls, routers, switches, VPN’s, DMVPN network, BGP connectivity to our ISP’s, Amazon AWS, and Akamai Prolexic. Provide 24×7 tier 3 network support and the final escalation point for all network issues. Work with game teams and developers to understand application behavior and create an optimized network architecture for game launches and operations. Provide daily support of network and security requests. Create and document policies and changes as well as provide guidance for other team members.
- Implemented Akamai Prolexic DDOS mitigation solution for production DDOS issues
- Evaluate NextGen Firewall solutions and create migration plan for new Cisco Firepower firewalls (in progress)
- Maintain Cisco CUCM phone system.
- Upgrade Cisco ASR edge routers to a standard safe harbor version.
- Work to simplify routing and network architecture to improve performance and reliability
Starbucks Coffee Company
Sr. Network Engineer (July 2015 to July 2017)
Worked in the Identity Security Team to configure F5 LTM Load Balanced VIPs and APM security policies for new and existing applications within the company. Primary responsibilities were to manage all aspects of the F5 load balancers as well as provide operational support for load balancer issues as they arose. Configure and integrate F5 APM with Optimal idM for secure access management. Worked directly with application developers to assist in over-all network architecture design as well as provide support and recommendations for successful deployments and/or upgrades of new or existing applications.
- Worked with application teams for all load balancer configurations including APM policies and TCL based iRules
- Provided project leadership and ownership of overall aspects of load balanced application delivery
- Configured SAML integration between load balancers to SecureAuth and Optimal identity platforms for identity based application security
- Lead and defined Starbucks load balancing and network architecture initiatives for identity based authentication services
Network Development Engineer (January 2014 to July 2015)
Infrastructure scaling of CORE, DISTRIBUTION, AGGREGATION, and RING topologies in all Availability Zones of AWS. Primary responsibilities involved the scripted programmatic scaling and deployment of new and existing network capacity using Cisco Nexus 7018, Juniper QFX, as well as Amazon proprietary routers to meet worldwide capacity demands within the AWS Cloud Network. Created and modified Python scripts for all network configuration changes and used GIT for version control. Core upgrade projects involved increasing the capacity from 4-way to 16-way active/active core architectures, 1.2Tbps to 7.5Tbps core and distribution architectures, and 640 G to 1.2Tbps ring architectures.
- Write and modify Python, Jinja and shell script templates to manage fleet wide automated configuration changes
- Configure OSPF and BGP routing instances within each AZ
- Worked directly with operations teams, service managers and program management teams, as well as on-site data center teams to ensure flawless core, distribution, and ring capacity upgrades within various availability zones
- Lead multiple scaling projects to meet all capacity obligations and deadlines
Sr. Network Engineer (July 2011 to January 2014)
Project lead designing and deploying network architecture for EA game title launches. Primary responsibilities were to build, deploy, and support EIGRP, OSPF, and BGP network routing as well as VTP, STP, MPLS, load balancing and firewall security of data center hosted game titles. Worked with game studio application developers as well as architecture, systems, DBA, and storage teams to design the network deployment for optimal game play. Worked operationally as tier 3 support for any network issues and optimized day-to-day performance using network management tools and protocol analyzers. Reviewed current designs and worked with other team members to re-evaluate existing infrastructure and implement network improvements. Evaluated and implemented new tools, software, equipment and processes to help improve the overall network. Trained and mentored junior engineers as well as created and documented network designs using Visio, Word and Wiki.
- Successful migration of “The Simpson Tapped Out” from F5 to Netscaler to improve stability and ongoing scalability
- Successfully helped launch FIFA 13, FIFA14, Crisis 2, DeadSpace2 and SimCity
- Support EA mobile and Pogo environments
- Provided operational support during the launch of XBOX ONE and PS4
- Assist in the deployment of Hadoop clusters within the network
- Support the PCI environment for all game titles
- Researched, reviewed and implemented company-wide IP management and DNS system to improve project deployment time and reduced ongoing project costs
- Worked to deploy backend DMVPN IPSEC backend networks between regional offices.
Sr. Network Engineer (July 2009 to May 2011)
Network Engineering and operational support of the Jabil global network following ITIL v3 best practices. My primary responsibilities involved the support of all network related duties both within the manufacturing facilities and within the enterprise. Worked with architectural teams to implement new network architectures. Documented current and new network designs. Provided tire 3 support to the network operations center. Trained the NOC and junior member of the network team..
- Team lead on pilot rollout of routed network design within the St. Pete manufacturing site.
- Team lead on final design and testing of new routed network within the main flagship manufacturing site in Guadalajara.
- Created detailed engineering designs and standards for a global hardware refresh for 65 offices in 21 countries
- Training and supervised the implementation teams during the global hardware refresh.
- Creating standard configuration templates and devices configurations
- Created migration plans, work instructions, and implementation guides for the project rollout
..and much more
Community College of the Air Force
Austin Community College
Southern Methodist University
United States Air Force – Honorable Discharge
- Telecommunications Systems Specialist (Tech Control)
- Air Force Achievement Medal